Start with the issues. We ran into a low tide and couldn’t get through. We had to wait 2 1/2 hours for the tide to rise so we could continues. We had hoped to get a long way today but between waiting for the tide and waiting for a swing bridge to open for us we only got 40 miles. Not good distance however we saw some awesome wildlife.
First while we were waiting for the tide Tam saw this bald eagle. Very majestic.
Then came the dolphins. We actually saw several of them but finally got some pictures.
Then when we anchored the boat we saw another bald eagle sitting on top of the mast of a boat next to us. This was a young adult and he was up there preening himself.
So an interesting wildlife day.
Then comes the bad news. Yesterday while going through Charleston the boat started vibrating badly. It happened while we were in gear. The sump pump started running frequently. We checked the drive train area and saw water coming from the place were the strut hand been repaired last year.
The issue was manageable with the sump operating so we motored down the ICW 2 miles,until we located an anchorage and threw the hook. After we anchored I went below and checked the strut repair. When I grabbed the 2 forward bolts they came out. I believe they sheared from when we had issues with the line going through the prop the other day. So now we had water shooting up 3 inches, like a fountain, out of those holes then running to the bilge. The first good news was the sump pump was keeping up with the flow of water. Well the other day when we went into Georgetown to get the new alternator belt we also picked up a couple of 3/8″ hex cap bolts. I thought I would replace the alternator bolts as well. However they did not fit so I set them aside. Well yesterday they were over sized for the hole but they cross threaded and created a very tight fitting bolt. I used both of them and the leak stopped. The water stopped running and the sump pump did not go off all night long. Some one was looking after us because what were the chances of buying just the right bolts the day before I needed them. Thank you Lord.
We will test out the bolts and see if that they continue working and hopefully we will be able to find stainless steel ones and replace them with stainless. For now we will continue our journey. I wish we were close to Point Judith because Don could get us what we need. Hi Don, Ann, and Tim.
Well we had better get going next blog will Saturday.
“Living The Dream”
“Sometimes the Nightmare”
Tammy & Steve